One uber: Do you want to use Uber to get a large group of people to the same destination? While you can only request one Uber vehicle at a time with your rider account, there are still ways your entire group can arrive to the same place together. This article will show you 6 easy ways to transport a large group of people—even if your group is in multiple locations—to the same destination using Uber and other rideshare services.
Things You Should Know
- While you can’t request multiple vehicles at the same time in the Uber app, you can request a larger vehicle with UberXL or UberSUV.
- If other members of your party have Uber accounts (or are willing to create them), you can all request vehicles at the same time.
- You can easily add multiple stops to any Uber trip if you need to pick up friends and family along the way.
- If you’re planning a trip that requires multiple vehicles, using a taxi or private car service is the easiest way to travel together.
UberXL and UberSUV can each accommodate 6 riders. Both ride types use larger vehicles, so you’ll be able to get more people to your destination by selecting one of these vehicles when requesting a ride.
- Some larger UberXL and UberSUV vehicles can accommodate more than 6 riders, but don’t wait for the vehicle to show up to find out—after booking a ride with UberXL or UberSUV, send a message to or call your driver to ask how many seats with seatbelts are available in the vehicle.
If you have more than 6 people in your group, multiple people can request vehicles. Though your individual account cannot request more than one vehicle at a time, other people you’re with can use their own Uber accounts to order other vehicles to the same location.
- If you’re the only person in your group with an Uber account, don’t worry—all your friend will need to do is download the Uber app from the App Store (iPhone/iPad) or Play Store (Android) and create an account. There’s no wait time—your friend can request a ride immediately.
- There’s no longer an option to invite new riders directly from the Uber app—your friend will need to download the app and create a new account.
Creating a multiple stop trip is a great way to get multiple riders from different starting points to the same destination. You can have an Uber vehicle pick you up first, then travel to another location to pick up a friend. This way, your whole group can arrive in the same vehicle (as long as it’s large enough to accommodate everyone you want to transport) even if you’re all starting from different locations.
- When creating a ride, tap Where to? and then tap the + at the top of the screen.
- Add as many stops you need along the way before selecting a vehicle. Make sure to use exact addresses for each stop—your friend will need to be ready and waiting when you arrive to pick them up. Keep each stop limited to 3 minutes or less.
- If your friends also have Uber accounts, you can split the fare instantly in the Uber app. Just open the app, swipe up from the bottom, choose your payment method, and then tap Split Fare. You can then enter the name or phone number of the person you want to split the fare with—they’ll receive a notification. Once they accept, the fare will be split equally.
Use the Lyft app to request the second vehicle. This is an easy way to make sure you can get two vehicles to the same location at the same time without asking other members of your party for help. Creating a Lyft account is just as easy as signing up for Uber—just download the Lyft app from the App Store (iPhone/iPad) or Play Store (Android) and follow the on-screen instructions to sign up and request a ride.
- Like Uber, Lyft also doesn’t allow you to request multiple vehicles at the same time. This will only work if you only need 2 vehicles in total.
- Lyft XL and Lux Black XL can transport up to 5 riders per vehicle.
- There’s no guarantee the two vehicles will show up at exactly the same time, but should they should be relatively close.
If you have multiple Uber accounts, you can request a ride using each account. There is a drawback to this method, though—each Uber account must have a unique email address and phone number, so it’s not easy to create a second Uber account on the spot. You’ll also need to book one of the vehicles in your phone’s web browser, as you’ll already be using your main account in the Uber app to book another ride.
- You can create a new Uber account in your phone’s web browser at https://www.uber.com. Just remember, you’ll need to use a different phone number and email address as your current account. And using Google Voice or another VoIP service usually won’t work—you’ll need a real second phone number (or a second phone).
- Once you’ve created your new account, you can add any payment method—it can even be the same credit card or PayPal account you use on your main Uber account.
- You can then request one vehicle using your main account in the Uber app, and a second ride using your second Uber account in your web browser.
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft aren’t the best when you need multiple vehicles. Fortunately, many areas (especially high-population areas) still have reliable taxi and car services you can use to request more than one vehicle at a time. You’ll want to make these travel arrangements over the phone rather than using an app.
- Many taxi services also have vans designed for larger parties, seating up to 7 passengers in the same vehicle. But in some regions, larger taxi vans can only legally accommodate 5 people at a time. Contact the taxi service directly to find out your options.
Some locations do not permit riders to ride in the passenger seat of Uber, Lyft, or Taxi vehicles. This means that if you request a large vehicle from any service in places like New York City, as well as in many California locations (including Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino, Ventura, or Victorville), even the largest XL vehicles might not accommodate 6 passengers.
If you’re planning a trip that involves multiple vehicles, contact a taxi or private car service in advance to ensure they’ll have enough vehicles for your entire party.
You can use your Uber account to get a vehicle for someone else—you don’t even have to be in the car!