Hydraulic Cement: You want to get your product out there so everyone can see how great it is…but that’s harder than it sounds! How do you market a product?
Read below for some advice, strategies, and general information on how to market a product.
Cement used in construction are usually inorganic, often lime or calcium silicate based.
Which can be characterized as non-hydraulic or hydraulic respectively.
Depending on the ability of the cement to set in the presence of water (see hydraulic and non-hydraulic lime plaster).
Hydraulic cements (e.g., Portland cement) set and become adhesive due to a chemical reaction between the dry ingredients and water.
The chemical reaction results in mineral hydrates that are not very water-soluble and so are quite durable in water and safe from chemical attack.
This allows setting in wet conditions or under water and further protects the hardened material from chemical attack.
The chemical process for hydraulic cement was found by ancient Romans who used volcanic ash (pozzolana) with added lime (calcium oxide)
Determine your startup budget. Think about how much money you will have to market your product in the beginning. This will determine what type of marketing you do and sometimes what strategy you use.
Develop sales goals. You will need to determine how much of your product at what price will need to sell in order to keep your business afloat. This is very, very important. Balancing this will be tricky and it may take some time to figure out the right formula.
Develop a sales plan. This is when you will need to write out and specify your sales timeline, target market needs, priorities, objectives, challenges, how you will acquire new business, and how you will grow your existing business. A sales plan will be necessary if you want investors to consider your product.
Keep it up-to-date. Make sure all of your designs are kept up to date. Who wants to go to a beauty parlor with a sign from the 1980s or buy from a website which looks like it’s hosted on GeoCities?
Hire a graphic designer. Don’t make your product packaging and logo yourself unless you have extensive design experience and artistic talent. Having attractive branding and graphic design is important and is best left to the pros. Commission a graphic designer (you can find a cheap one by inquiring at the local art college) to do your designs for you.
Design a logo. You will need a logo for your company and product if you do not have one already. Make sure it is easy to read, simple to print, easily memorable, and versatile. Your graphic designer should be able to help you come up with something.
- The most successful logos use bold lines and dynamic shapes. Think the Pepsi logo, the Nike logo, or the Batman symbol.
Design unforgettable product packaging. You will need labels and other visuals on your packaging and these should be similarly well designed as your logo. The packaging will need to be attractive, appropriate to your product and company image, and easily recognizable.
- Remember: if someone can’t remember what you’re product is called when they describe it to people, they’re probably going to say something like, “Go to the blank aisle and you’ll see it on the shelf: it’s the thing in the purple package with the cool, white swirly design”.
Have a website. The most important thing these days, when it comes to marketing a product, is having a website. This will give you a wider audience than any other type of marketing, is relatively cheap, and lends legitimacy to your business. It will also be necessary for some of the more effective marketing methods. If you really want your website to help you succeed, enable the sale of your product through the site.
- The simplest way to sell your product through your website will be to have an Amazon store where the product is available and use the storefront widget or link to the product on your site.
- A sales funnel is also an effective way of converting site visits to actual sales. It’s like a step by step process to guide your customers on what products they should buy from among your collections. If you’re not sure how this goes, you can hire a professional digital marketer to do the work for you.
Make a press release. For certain types of products, a press release might be a good idea. Find a media which is related to (i.e. whose audience would be excited about) the type of product you are selling and give them a press release about your product becoming available. This is best for brand new products, especially those which are innovative in some way.
Don’t forget flyers, pamphlets, and postcards. You can also use more traditional methods of getting the word out. These methods work best for advertising and gaining customers in your local area. Make sure that your ad is easy to understand, looks attractive, and has some kind of hook to draw customers in. Flyers and pamphlets can be handed out or posted in allocated spots (such as store windows). Pamphlets and postcards can be mailed to street addresses in your local area.
Become an expert in your market. Conduct research about your target market. You can look up information online or at a library, or you can conduct your own experiments by polling members of your target market or giving them samples to try to review.
- Make sure to consider what your target market should be. Certain demographics to consider include age, gender, education level, location, interests, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.
Perfect your product for the market. Once you have some feedback about your product and more information about your target market, make any changes that seem appropriate to perfect it for your market.
- Remember that while you will get widely differing opinions, if there are common criticisms of your product, they are probably correct and should be addressed.
Don’t get too enamoured with your own ideas. Your customers may have better ones and if you can’t change to fit their ideas, your business will fail. Just look at Microsoft with the Xbox One.